[geeks] HD/IDE question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 26 09:46:36 CDT 2006

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 @ 10:23 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> velociraptor wrote:
> > So, the next question: recommendations for a file system which is
> > readable and writeable by all the major OSes? E.g. OS X, Solaris,
> > Linux, *BSD, Windows XP?  Ext2/3 appears to be the only choice for
> > support of files >2GB.  I'd be interested to hear other suggestions
> > and/or anyone's experiences using the tools for ext2 under non-Linux
> > OSes.
>
> I agree that ext2 appears to be the only choice.  I haven't tried it
> under Windows yet, but it works fine under NetBSD.

Just one caveat: I've found that Windows is very slow when reading ext2,
either with the filesystem drivers, or the userland program.

Anyone know why?

Or is it just Windows being slower in general that I'm seeing?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]