[geeks] What do you get paid for wearing a pager?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Sep 25 10:08:03 CDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Just to state the obvious, this means you have to be within 15 minutes
> of being somewhere where you can actually start doing "ususal admin
> stuff, plus of course fixing whatever the problem was" and re-starting
> the server.
>
> This could, depending on your situation, require you to keep a laptop
> in your car, with some mechanisim to access your console server,
> remote power bar, etc. from anywhere (mobile high-speed data service
> or modem service over your cell phone)...
>
> This is a much more demanding request than probably they realize...

Well, my thinking was to buy the EVDO device from Verizon, which also
requires a voice plan, and give them a separate cell number to call.
Then have a laptop with me that can use EVDO, etc.

Which all has to be built in to the price, of course; including the
early termination fee.

Cordially
Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net