[geeks] What do you get paid for wearing a pager?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Sep 24 23:42:55 CDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> I should have clarified this a little bit, in that the only reason for
> a page is "the server is down".  Other issues don't result in me being
> paged.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Ahem.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, right.  Customers -rarely- have such a narrow definition for why a
tech gets paged.  If you don't respond within $time, they'll still want
the penalty.  If you do respond, and it's not the server, they'll say it
was "important", and that "counts".

If they want someone to fix things anytime within 15 minutes of failure,
they need an employee, not an outsourced technician.  They know that;
they're just trying to get out of paying for one.

--
Jonathan Patschke   "The ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes,
Elgin, TX            the powerful dictate what they desire--they all con-