[geeks] FYI - great HP printer tech support page

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Sep 24 16:51:03 CDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 08:40:54PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:26:38PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> So far, I've had good luck with HP technical information and support.
>>
>> There are a lot of things they do I don't like, but I do usually find
>> what I need from them, either on their website or by calling them.
>
> A long time ago, DEC made an ehthernet 10/100 chip set and a PCI card with
> it. They had on their web site the drivers for MacOS 7 and 8, OS 9 included
> them.
>
> When Compaq bought DEC they kept the drivers.

I was working at a local ISP when Compaq bought DEC.

Remember the old DEC joke about how many engineers will it take to
fix the dead system, it depends on how many dead and wrong parts they
brought with them?

Well, we had a Compaq server go down, and I joked that they were going
to send some old DEC field techs to fix it, and told that joke to one
of the other guys there.

Well, the guys that showed up were former DEC and they had the wrong
part.  I had a hard time not laughing.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org