[geeks] X memory usage in 7.x, some software improves with time

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 21 16:59:24 CDT 2006

Thu, 21 Sep 2006 @ 21:29 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:14:25PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I just upgrade to X11R7 two days ago.
> >
> > Normally X would hit 270MB to start, and grow from there, particularly
> > when running games, photo editing, and OpenGL acceleration on the
> > desktop.
>
> Are you sure it's X eating all that memory?

Absolutely.

> I've run Linux 2.4, X,
> Fluxobx and some DOS games under DOSEMU and Windows games on WINE on a
> system with 128m RAM, 16m of which is used by the display, no swap,
> and almost 50m of RAM disk.

How much video memory on your card?  What depth?  Did you use OpenGL?

Just mapping the background image of my current desktop with a few
windows will eat more than 16MB, and that's not counting scrolled areas
and other allocations.

If you only use 16MB, you have nothing heavy running on your X server.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]