[geeks] HD/IDE question

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at pandora.be
Wed Sep 20 09:29:00 CDT 2006

Jochen Kunz wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:45:19 -0400
>velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm wondering if the problems could be an artifact of a flaky IDE
>>controller (on-board IDE and the RAID chipset is also one of the
>>Promise "Lite" RAID set ups) rather than the disk.
>>

>Once I had a strange data corruption problem wirth a IDE disk. Finaly I
>found that is was a broken IDE cable... (The machine in question was
>new.)
>--

I'll second that... This is the most likely couse of the problem however
when replacing the cable with a
 known good one and the problem persists  I  would replace the disk next
because some combinations
of seamingly good  disks  can  lead  to disasters ...I've  had the same
problem with one the systems here and it
 turned out to be a disk that was flaky ....I've only found that out
after a while ... anyway try to check the parts in
order of expense ....That is how I've learded to work because the cost
most of the time gives an indication of the
testing that has taken plase at the production site.... also check the
flash bios updates and make shure you have the
latest rev of the bios or eprom.

Michael

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mvergall.vcf]