[geeks] encrypted video cable?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 19 11:37:10 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 08:40 -0700, William Kirkland said:

> I thought I might try something new ... setting the subject to match
> the questions.

I used to try that, but few people followed.

> I am interested in how "encrypted video cables" work.

Google for "encrypted video blu ray" and you'll get a lot of
information.

You'll also see that some hackers have already broken it, because at
some point the hardware *must* have an unencrypted data stream.

They just soldered small leads to the encryption ASICs output and
recorded that.

Average Joe won't want to do that, but all of the pirates will.

Result: yet another system that only punishes legitimate users.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.