[geeks] Solaris 10 networking is giving me fits

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Sep 18 17:49:26 CDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Well, yes - there are pin-heads in management...

A few years ago I found a book written for managers on how to interview
applicants for UNIX admin positions.  I bought it, figuring that if they
were going to ask me canned questions, I should know the answers they
were looking for rather than my equally good or better answer.  (It's
UNIX, man... there's more than one good way to do almost everything
and often a few more that will work in a pinch.)

This sort of thing is actually one of my concerns about taking
standardized tests for certifications and such.  There are system
tools, particularly GUI tools, that I just don't use for things and
in some cases may be unaware they exist.  Multiple choice answers
don't worry me as much as written answers would because if the person
grading the test doesn't recognize a valid answer, I get dinged.

Years ago I heard the Microsoft certs (which I never had any interest in
taking, because I wouldn't want to support that) were famous for this.
If you didn't give THE Microsoft answer, you were simply wrong.

-DanD

# Words are only painted fire; a book is the fire itself.   -- Mark Twain