[geeks] Samba *headdesk*

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 18 14:02:30 CDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Mike Hebel wrote:

> Anybody know what I should look for when I have a slow XP/2000 client with
> a Linux Samba server?

Turn the debugging in smb.conf up to the maximum applicable value for
your version, restart smbd, and try to connect to the server.  Usually,
you'll see a bunch of repeated erroneous requests from the client that
will shine a light on things for you.

You'll want to turn the logging back down to a dull roar for actual use,
though.  At WOT, samba's logs can fill a disk rather rapidly and degrade
performance to a crawl.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"