[geeks] ftp upload renaming

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 15 10:53:11 CDT 2006

Fri, 15 Sep 2006 @ 09:31 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:25:12PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I have a client who wants users to be able to stage new documents to a
> > UNIX server that processes documents.  The processing involves moving
> > a document into the right place, reading it and putting parts of it in a
> > database, etc.
>
> <snip>
>
> How real-time does this have to be?
>
> You could have a cron job that watches a directory and takes action when
> it sees files.
>
> This could free the end users to use whatever file transfer protocol
> they feel comfortable with (ftp, scp, apptletalk, nfs, samba, etc).

I guess you are saying to have a cron job rename the files.  That's not
the ideal solution for this situation.

I'll have to think about that.  I really rather the files were never on
the server outside the expected format, but this is a possibility.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]