[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 14 16:38:40 CDT 2006

Thu, 14 Sep 2006 @ 00:44 -0700, William Kirkland said:

> > 	- convince a small number of OS developers to provide a standard
> > 	  configuration foundation
>
> Application developers have used alternate methods, so that the tools
> provided by the OS are typically ignored. ... why would an OS vender
> wish to pursue this further?

Why would they provide a standard C library, why would they provide a
standard HTTP protocol, etc.

There are already things like I'm talking about in UNIX that were added
over the years to address problems.

What will stop this in the future?

Either case is often a hard sell of course, but that's the nature of the
business.

> > Application developer might well change code to suit users, but the
> > admin can simply remove them if they want.
>
> ... and one user will defeat this by installing a private copy of
> some software, that has a specific behavior you have removed, then
> show his buddies ...

You can stop users from doing this.  If they don't have root, they can't
install it in system areas.

If they try to install it in user and data areas they have access too,
that's solved by removing the execute option from those paths.

You really should do that anyway, since there is no reason to be able to
execute outside of your application paths anyway.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]