[geeks] SATA on SPARC

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Sep 13 18:26:24 CDT 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> I have a feeling that this has been asked before, but I was unable to
> find it in the archives.
>
> Is there going to be support for SATA under SPARC under OpenSolaris?
> It doesn't seem that there is any way to do it *now* (please oh
> please point me wrong), but I've been hopeful for like a year.

As far as I can tell, the answer is "yes, eventually". The issue under
Solaris 10 (released version) is that the SATA driver framework was
x86-only.

see:

http://blogs.sun.com/lidasblog/entry/sunfire_x4500_sata_driver

http://blogs.sun.com/aland  (scroll down or search for SATA)

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/onnv/flag-days/pages/2006011301/

Under "what was not delivered" section:

"ATAPI devices support, Native Command Queuing support, Port Multiplier
support, SMART support, bootable SATA devices, SPARC platform
support. These features are scheduled for future phases of the
project."

---

Since they have SCSI / ATA / SATA mappings in place, sounds like
integration and testing are what is missing.

--Patrick