[geeks] Ubuntu sound question - esd w/alsa...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 12 09:21:33 CDT 2006

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 @ 20:12 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > What UNIX really needs is a standard API and filesystem interface (AFI?)
> > for sound so the drivers can present the same interface to all software,
> > and we won't need things like esd on *any* system.
> >
> > Of course, I suppose that's what ALSA is, but it is Linux only so it
> > does little good for Solaris, *BSD, etc.
>
> Open Sound System, perhaps...?

You mean OSS?  OSS is dead, and was never very good.

ALSA is quite a bit better and more ambitious, even though it was rocky
for a time.  Still needs more but it is getting better.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.