[geeks] Samsung 204B flat panel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 11 09:35:15 CDT 2006

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 @ 08:21 -0400, Mike F said:

> At work I've been using a nice shadow-mask ViewSonic for a while now,
> but the Trinitron that came before it had an awful blue tinge to the
> picture that no amount of adjustment could get rid of. And now I look
> over at a cow-orker's Trinitron and it has a similar, but red, tinge.
> They are both Dell-badged Trinitrons, so maybe Dell got a bad batch of
> tubes.

The patents on Trinitron have expired from what I understand, so we now
have quite a few clones out there, or maybe they are even licensed, I
don't know offhand.

The point is, they aren't made by Sony.

Sony's own displays are not as good as they used to be.  For example,
the year I got my 400PS was the last where they had VGA and also
per-channel inputs, and their famous heavy chassis.

About two years later I got some Sony monitors for other people and
clients, and they were notably lighter and cheaper inside.

Sigh...

I talked to a guy who has done repair for many years now, and he says
newer displays are leaving the factories poorly adjusted.  He makes a
good bit of money "fixing" the problem.  He said it was like they build
the units and ship them with only a half-hearted calibration phase,
because he says they are easy to correct in most cases.

Oh well... he charges $75 for it, so I guess he's happy until LCDs
completely take over.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]