[geeks] faster www cache

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sat Sep 9 06:55:44 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:17:47PM -0600, Dan Duncan wrote:
> One feature I really miss from my Sidekick phone was that Danger.com
> used a proxy server for web browsing.  I don't know what sort of
> caching (if any) they used, but it would resize pictures inline and
> do some reformatting so web pages looked great and loaded FAST on
> the slow GPRS data connection.  IMHO, this was a GREAT use of a proxy
> server for personal use.
[...]

Opera Mini does something similar - it connects to proxies hosted by Opera
Software that strip out unused content, optimise images, etc. Makes
browsing on GPRS connections very tolerable. Check out
http://mini.opera.com for more info (it works on most J2ME-enabled phones,
even those with pretty limited RAM).

-mj
--