[geeks] Swapping hard drives in a G4

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 6 16:53:20 CDT 2006

Wed, 06 Sep 2006 @ 11:03 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Example: CompUSA USB cable $25.  Same cable from local *grocery* store
> > $7.  Target was $9.50 and Wall-Mart was $15.
> >
> > No, I'm not kidding.  The price differences are annoying, though I guess
> > it is better than them all being uniformly high.
> >
> > What is up with CompostUSA and their cable prices anyway?
>
> Uh ...  the fact that CompUSA are crooks and liars who basically prey on
> the uninformed?  ALL their prices are inflated, based on my last memory
> of looking around a CompUSA store.

Well, you just described nearly ever retailer in town if I use the same
criteria on all of them... :)

They could have high prices because they don't have good buyers
themselves.

Crooks and liars might get you better prices.

For example: Wal-Mart.

CompUSA isn't always expensive, and sometimes the pricing isn't so much
high as inconsistent.

A few months back when I bought my HP 1320 laserjet, I started to just
buy online, however:

	HP 1320 from Newegg: $325, from Tiger: $300, from CompUSA: $250.

I think that in general, everyone selling computers and computer parts
are selling too high.  Outside of things like cables, most other stuff
is no higher in CompUSA that the other stores.

Of course, that might just speak about eastern Virginia more than
CompUSA.  We aren't exactly swimming in good computer stores.  That's
why I've been buying from distant sources since 1984.

I go to CompUSA and BestBuy all the time to look at stuff so I can see
it, and then buy online unless they have a good deal.  Same for local
computer stores.  I try to support the locals if they aren't too much
higher, but when you start getting into 50-100 percent higher, I can't
help the little guy out that much.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]