[geeks] Swapping hard drives in a G4

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Sep 5 21:15:25 CDT 2006

Mike Hebel wrote:

> Run the first laptop in Firwire Target Mode then run the Setup
> Assistant on the second.  Not sure how that will work going from
> 10.4->10.3 or less but it's probably the easiest if you're not going to
> just swap drives.
>
> IIRC that has the option to pull all the old user information and files
> and apps over to the new system and have it almost literally be a clone
> of the old system.
>
> I found this out when taking the data from my 10.2 clamshell to the
> 10.3 G5 iMac.  In fact it copied more than what I wanted because I
> wasn't paying attention.
>
> At least I think it was the Setup Assistant that I used - it's been a
> little while.

Ah - that's the bit I was missing.  If Setup Assistant can 'clone' the
apps and data to the healthy laptop, that's all I need.

Of course I need a firewire cable and since the nearest Frys is 18 hours
away that will simply have to wait until tomorrow night.

Thanks!

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks