[geeks] encrypted video cable?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 30 17:29:47 CST 2006

Mon, 30 Oct 2006 @ 16:33 -0500, der Mouse said:

> >> A lot of documents try; that I'm perfectly willing to believe.
> >> That they actually succeed in doing so, that I'm not.
> > Why?
>
> Because as far as I can tell, GhostScript - at least the version I'm
> running - simply does not have any such capability.

I'm not talking about *YOU* running *GhostScript*.

I mean the majority who run Adobe Reader for PDF files, obviously.

> >> GhostScript has everything to do with it.  The remark said "your PDF
> >> viewer", and my PDF viewer is GhostScript.
> > What version of GhostScript will view PDF files?
>
> Every GhostScript version I've tried.  I'm currently at
>
> AFPL Ghostscript BETA RELEASE 8.30 (2004-05-29)

OK, I see it in the man page.

However, I can't make it render PDF files.

I *can* run it within a wrapper like kpdf and it will.

Do you just run it like this:

% gs somefile.pdf

...and it works?

> > I think what you mean is that some PDF viewers use it as the
> > rendering engine, which has *NOTHING* to do with the phone home part.
>
> If that were what I meant, that would be a reaosnable point.  But it's
> not what I meant.  The docs say that GhostScript handles PDF natively,
> and everything I've seen jibes with that.

True.

If it ever fully supports PDF, then it will have the same issues as
Reader.

Hopefully people won't start making scripting a requirement to view
documents, though it would not surprise me to see it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]