[geeks] ADSL Modem

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 30 10:17:38 CST 2006

Sun, 29 Oct 2006 @ 00:05 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Got a perfectly good U2 with dual 400s and 2G of RAM.  Haven't decided
> what to use it for yet since I rescued it.  (I started playing with
> Solaris 10 on it once trying to figure out whether I could install Sol10
> without Gnome.  I didn't find a way to rip Gnome out and still have X
> work at all.)

I had the same issue. I tried several variations on installing the OS,
and I always ended up with Gnome for some reason, even when I tried to
install nothing but X and its libraries. It also took forever with that
Q#$%@#!$% Java installer.

Maybe someone will write a better installer now that Sun has released
the sources for Solaris.  In fact, do the alternative Open Solaris
releases have their own installers?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]