[geeks] ADSL Modem

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 28 23:05:48 CDT 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>> I have OpenBSD on a U5 that's doing pf, pppd/pppoe, routing and dhcpd.
>> Again, massive overkill.  But I can't put three additional NICs into a
>> Sparc LX.
>
> Oh, you're not really trying - I've seen quad 10/100 SBUS cards...

OK, let me reword that slightly.  I had plenty of extra single and dual
NICs that I could put in a U5.  I didn't have any multiple SBUS NICS.
:)  (Besides, the only quad SBUS Ethernet NICs I've seen are quad hme,
and when I was playing with using the LX for that job, OpenBSD and hme
interfaces just didn't get along well.  I did some comparative testing,
and I actually got less bandwidth through a hme under OpenBSD 3.3 than I
could get through the onboard le.)

> What you really need is an Ultra 2 base to act as router/etc box... ;^)

Got a perfectly good U2 with dual 400s and 2G of RAM.  Haven't decided
what to use it for yet since I rescued it.  (I started playing with
Solaris 10 on it once trying to figure out whether I could install Sol10
without Gnome.  I didn't find a way to rip Gnome out and still have X
work at all.)

--
 Same geek, same site, new location