[geeks] Jericho

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Oct 28 13:03:35 CDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:25:50PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I don't know... why do we assume that if you create FTL drive, you will
> also create something newer than a standard gun?

Because they have had it for at least as long as the Kobol to colonies
migration, well over 2,000 years before. Since the migration from Earth
to Kobol was well before that and they "lost the way", then one
can assume they FTL drive then. I don't know any of a definate figure,
but that migration was 3,000 years ago, but I keep thinking of it being
10,000 years ago.

> Personally, I believe we'll go to the stars, and we'll be packing
> conventional heat when we do for the most part.

If you use Star Trek as a basis for a reasonable technology timeline,
look at Enterprise and you would be just about right. Two hundred years
later (Kirk), they had advanced technology that was just beginin to appear in
Enterprise. By the time they got to the Picard era, the technology had
changed again. If you look at the stranded time ship from two hundred
years later, it looked the same, but was very different.

Of course the main difference between Star Trek and BSG is that the BSG
universe is only in inhabited by humans. There are no other life forms
of any kind on any other planets they have encountered, they even
brought their own diseases with them on New Caprica, The Cylons were
their creation and when the Cylons decided to copy organic life, they
copied humans so closely that they could mate with them. That implys
well over 99% identical DNA.

You may be right. My experince as in idependant inventor is that most people
never have an original idea, and if they did are unable to do anything with it.
Some societies are like that, E.G. Japan, Korea, and IMHO the U.S. is rapidly
heading that way. Maybe that's the grand joke of BSG, the Cylons were more
inventive than the humans they wanted to be.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838