[geeks] RFID-based credit cards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 28 07:57:29 CDT 2006

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/10/27 Fri PM 03:10:46 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] RFID-based credit cards

>Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>> However, that does bring up the question ... how could I tell if this one
>> actually does have an RFID thing in it?
>
>Hit it with a properly formatter query and see if it transmits.
>
>An antenna and an oscilloscope would probably be all you would need.

You'd need a signal generator tuned to the right freq and generating sufficient energy to power the "chip", then the reciever would have to be a bit more sophisticated than a bare wire sticking out the front of an oscilliscope, wouldn't it?

You could just melt the card and see if there is anything inside it (assuming you don't have an x-ray machine or access to one, say, at a dentist office)...

Lionel