[geeks] electric cars

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 25 13:36:00 CDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> " > didja know the current price of bulk alcohol is over $5/gal?  now
> that " > mtbe is out, it's in very short supply as a gasoline
> additive. "
> " Didja know that this is because it isn't produced as a common
> vehicle " fuel right now?
>
> oh yeah.  we're essentially burning food-grade fuel.  i'm sure it has
> adm laughing all the way to the bank.

True, but we don't *have* to get it from adm or even from that kind of
source.

> cellulosic ethanol will be the saviour, if and when it ever becomes
> practical.

That's not the only source, though I have read it would produce large
quantities cheaply.

I think a plant locally is experimenting with it, but most of what we
have locally is using agri-waste and trash-fuel conversions.

> " > electrics won't last any longer than current cars, on salty winter
> " > roads.
> "
> " Why not?
>
> rust.

Rust can be taken care of, and not all cars rust severely even in the
rust-belt.

> " The biggest reason cited for vehicle replacement is drivetrain
> failure.
>
> nationwide, or just in the rust belt?

Drivetrain failure is a primary cause of vehicle retirement everywhere,
regardless of rust.  Most people are not willing or able to replace
engines due to the complexity, but most people could change an electric
motor with little trouble.  It is also easier for mechanics, though
they might not be happy about that, I don't know.

Then again, if the repairs were cheaper, you might actually see more
people use mechanics and maybe their business would be even better if
people decided electrics were cheap enough to get regular maintenance.

> " They should be more efficient, but there is a lot of transmission
> and " charging loss in the equation for large numbers of electric
> cars.
>
> that's true.  i've heard that transmission loss is as much as 50%, and
> that gas pipelines transmit power more efficiently than power lines.

Depends on the voltage, lines, terrain, and distance.

One of the problems with some areas running out of power or not having
local generation at all is we are relying more on long-distance
transmission, which results in even more loss.

> " We are also near peak power in many areas.
>
> not around the clock.  cars could be recharged only in off-peak times.

They could be, but they won't be.

People will forget to charge, and then try to charge at work, during
their lunch our, etc.

Peak charging loads will follow people's habits just like sewage, water
usage, and traffic systems do already.

Kind of like networking... I was saying in another message how websites
that force you to babysit downloads prevent you from being more
efficient and doing things in batches.

Should, could, and would often do not meet...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of
Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make