[geeks] electric cars

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Oct 24 23:00:24 CDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> The solution proposed by Halliburton/Star is to build a 12-lane wide
>> superhighway through the Shenendoah Valley and down through 325 miles
>> of Virginia.  It would feature a separate "truck superway" in the
>> middle lanes that would have truck stops also in the center.  It's a
>> really huge plan, $13 billion for initial funding I believe, and you
>> know that estimate will be low.
>
> .....They have to be out of their fucking minds.

Yes, quite.  However, a similar plan is underway in Texas:

    http://www.keeptexasmoving.org/about/

    http://www.corridorwatch.org/ttc/map2002junepriority.htm

Texans, however, are not being told what the project will cost:

    http://corridornews.blogspot.com/2005/06/txdot-cintra-zachry-file-suit-to-keep.html

Eminent domain is being used to steal land from taxpayers so that a
foriegn-owned[0] company might collect tolls for the use of said land.

The TTC will include railways, tollways, and truck expressways.  It will
have few exits.  It will not pass over existing roads (due to the
railway).  There will be very few state arteries that will cross the TTC
(think about it; would -you- want a 12-mile bridge unless you absolutely
-needed- it?).  The TTC will effectively divide Texas into "corridor
counties" irrespective of political jurisdiction boundaries.

Texas is going a step further and turning existing paid-for highways
into tollways.  Pull up a map of Austin.  Look for US-290 on the east
side, TX-77 across south Austin, Loop-1 down the west side, and US-183
up the middle.  TXDoT wants them -all- tolled.

Now, how does a state entity take an already-paid road and make it into
a toll road?  Simple!  They build a new highway on either side of the
existing road, make the previously-existing road a tollway, reduce the
speed limit on the new outside lanes to 35 mi/hr, and add traffic lights
every few blocks, essentially converting the old highway into access-
control lanes for the new tollway.  Two of the new tollways (new
highways) open November 1.  The TX-77 conversion is nearly done.  US-290
and US-183 are just beginning.

   http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/keyword?k=cintra

People here are pissed the fsck off about it.  If there's even a single
incumbent that wins back his state office in November, the citizens of
the State of Texas aren't doing their job.

[0] http://www.cintra.es/
--
Jonathan Patschke   "The ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes,
Elgin, TX            the powerful dictate what they desire--they all con-