[geeks] electric cars

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 24 22:57:01 CDT 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/10/24 Tue PM 05:25:36 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] electric cars

>On Oct 24, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>
>> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>> "
>> " 8 lanes of freight would be impressive "bandwidth" for freight, and
>> " would be hard to beat with rail service, even if it was 4 lanes in
>> " and 4 lanes out - 4 semi's wide and front to back is a lot of
>> freight...
>>
>> an 80' freight car carries about twice what a double-trailer semi
>> does, and the 'following distance' is pretty short...
>
>Of course, once it arrives at the terminal... you have to deliver it
>via truck.

Yea, but it should be a local run for the truck, and not require slashing a gash through a mountain range (the original complaint)

>Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have "air-ride"
>suspension for most trains and anything even remotely fragile can get
>the crap beaten out of it... one set of cars banging into another at
>5mph is not uncommon.

Sounds reasonable, but if the container is packed tight, I would assume all is fine inside - but that is just an assumption..

>Plus you have the union attitude to deal with.

And the guys who load/unload the truck aren't Union (capitalized out of respect ;^)

Lionel