[geeks] electric cars

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Oct 24 19:45:44 CDT 2006

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>
>> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>> "
>> " 8 lanes of freight would be impressive "bandwidth" for freight, and
>> " would be hard to beat with rail service, even if it was 4 lanes in
>> " and 4 lanes out - 4 semi's wide and front to back is a lot of
>> freight...
>>
>> an 80' freight car carries about twice what a double-trailer semi
>> does, and the 'following distance' is pretty short...
>
> Of course, once it arrives at the terminal... you have to deliver it
> via truck.
>
> Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have "air-ride"
> suspension for most trains and anything even remotely fragile can get
> the crap beaten out of it... one set of cars banging into another at
> 5mph is not uncommon.
>
> Plus you have the union attitude to deal with.

This is why we have diverse means of transport - some stuff is better
served by one transport over another.  Some people need Solaris 10, some
  Ubuntu.

That said, a dealer did once ship me a monitor from Chicago to DFW by
train.  Took six weeks for a two-day delivery.  Cost me no end of grief
from the end user who really needed the thing - he ended up buying the
same model with his credit card at Best Buy.

It was intact when it arrived, but I don't know if it worked.  My boss
pitched a fit about paying for it so back it went unopened at CDW's expense.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks