[geeks] electric cars

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Oct 24 17:59:25 CDT 2006

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> Sulfur isn't a problem for diesels, it's a lubricant. The only issue is
>> sulfuric acid forming in the oilpan.
>
> It's a problem for pollution standards.  I never heard of it as a lubricant.

You're right, it's not a lubricant.

It's a common misconception because the processes that reduce the sulfur
content also reduce the lubricity of the fuel.

For those unfamiliar with diesels, the fuel helps to lubricate the fuel
pump and the injectors. Some ancient diesels (ie 20yrs+) have been shown
to have problems with modern fuel because of the lack of lubrication.

It's common for distributors to mix in additives similar to Power
Service Diesel Kleen or a small ammount of soy biodiesel - even a mere
5% biodiesel mix lubricates better than non-ULSD diesel #2.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com