[geeks] electric cars

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Oct 24 17:25:36 CDT 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> "
> " 8 lanes of freight would be impressive "bandwidth" for freight, and
> " would be hard to beat with rail service, even if it was 4 lanes in
> " and 4 lanes out - 4 semi's wide and front to back is a lot of
> freight...
>
> an 80' freight car carries about twice what a double-trailer semi
> does, and the 'following distance' is pretty short...

Of course, once it arrives at the terminal... you have to deliver it
via truck.

Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have "air-ride"
suspension for most trains and anything even remotely fragile can get
the crap beaten out of it... one set of cars banging into another at
5mph is not uncommon.

Plus you have the union attitude to deal with.

--Patrick