[geeks] electric cars

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 24 10:26:33 CDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:04:20 -0400
"Caleb Shay" <caleb at webninja.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
> > Diesels are hard to find in the US,
>
> Thankfully, that is about to change.  However, I've owned 2 diesel
> VWs, and I was extremely happy with them, unfortunately they both got
> taken out in nasty car accidents (which I walked away from).
>
>  and even manual trannies are getting
> > as rare as hen's teeth.  The vehicles that offer 4wd (or AWD) and a
> > manual tranny rarely offer them TOGETHER.  I ended up paying quite
> > a bit more to get the combo.
>
> Which is why I've gone all Audi at my house.  Pretty much every
> vehicle they make is available with AWD and stick.  I've got an A4 and
> a TT, both AWD (quattro in Audi parlance) and 6 speed stick.

Subaru also offers AWD on several models.

Does anyone know how well they hold up or how well their system works?

I drove an AWD WRX with the Japanese conversion (a kit to remove a lot
of the US restrictions on the engine) and it was a lot of fun.  My
biggest complaint was the interior didn't look that great, and I
wondered how well it held up.

One thing I've always liked about VW and Audi is their interiors look
as good as a BMW.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains
are scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald