[geeks] electric cars

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Oct 24 10:04:17 CDT 2006

" From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net>
"
" Owning one of those showed me a very interesting side of the car business.
" When I had to replace the glow plugs, Volvo wanted about $30 each.  VW
" wanted $17 each.  The Bosch stockist next door to the NAPA store wanted $9.
" All exectly the same part.

i had the same volvo experience when i had to have my '67 amc
automatic tranny rebuilt, years ago.  volvo used the same borg warner
tranny but with stronger parts, and my rebuilder knew enough to get
them straight from bw, for half volvo's price.

my high school science teacher had a porsche 356 speedster, a '58
iirc.  he and fellow clubmembers once sat down to figure out how much
a vw beetle would cost, if bought by the part.  they stopped when they
topped $10k.  this was about '60 as i recall him telling it, and a
beetle then cost $995 iirc.