[geeks] electric cars

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Tue Oct 24 02:42:38 CDT 2006

On 24/10/2006, at 01:06, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Underpowered? Probably. That's not much torque, especially for a
> diesel
> (should be at least 20% higher), and the vehicle weighs 3200-3300lb.

Renault's 1.9l (conventional, normally aspirated, indirectly injected
diesel) is perfect for my wife's Kangoo, and my friend is very happy
with the same engine in his VW Golf.  I suppose vehicle weight has a
lot to do with that, as it only produces 55/65 bhp.

> I hear it got great fuel economy though (28 city, high 30s highway).

Leah's Kangoo gets 17km/l (about 40 mpg) in the city.  We don't do
enough highway driving to calculate the burn rate there.

All in all, I'm going to say it's a great little engine.  I wouldn't
try to drop it in a sports car, though.

---sambo