[geeks] electric cars

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Oct 23 22:55:10 CDT 2006

Michael Parson wrote:
> This, plus the new lower-sulfur fuel that was just released, means
> we're probably going to start seeing more and more diesels on the
> road here in the US.

The proper term for the recently-available fuel is "ultra-low sulfur
diesel" AKA ULSD, the "lower-sulfer diesel" is the crappy stuff those of
us in NA have been subjected to for the last 10 years or so.

Most of the high-tech diesels available in the world don't take well to
sulfur levels higher than 50ppm or so (the current European standard),
so it's been hard for the really experienced light diesel manufacturers
(BMW, VW, Mercedes, Peugot, Toyota) to offer the good stuff in the US.

The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep half of DaimlerChrysler, for one, is putting
diesels from a variety of manufacturers in just about *everything*
starting in the 2008MY...

(you don't think I'm a fan of diesels or anything, do you?)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com