[geeks] electric cars

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Oct 23 19:56:43 CDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Plus, you might be surprised how much an affect fuel has on the design
> details of the engine - fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc.

I own a bimbo-box that is E85 capable.  The cost of manufacturing
an engine like this from the beginning is supposed to be just
a hundred bucks or so in parts.  Many of the parts that touch
fuel (unburned, burning, or burned) have a slightly different
composition to offset the extra corrosiveness of the alcohol.
(different fuel line, seals, gaskets, sensors, etc)  Retrofitting
an existing engine would be prohibitive.  I've only run one
tank of E85 because even though it's supposed to be cheaper
nationwide, on average, I only have access to one station
that carries it.  Denver has several and it's supposed to be
a buck cheaper.

-DanD

# "We don't replace a theory with one that is better.  We replace it with one
# that is slightly less wrong."  Stephen Hawking