[geeks] electric cars

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Oct 23 15:36:53 CDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:37:45 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Oil has quite a bit of production after it is pumped from the ground,
> so I can't agree that it has no cost of production.  Then when you add
> the cost of refining, you definitely cannot say it has no cost of

It should have been fairly obvious what I meant. Crude oil production
essentially relies on an infinitely large oil field, which obviously
doesn't work long term. Bio-fuels not only have the 'cost of retrieval'
(processing the biomass into something usable) in the same way that
crude oil does, but also has a cost to producing the biomass in the
first place.

> > It might be worth distorting the market by slowly raising petrol
> > prices to encourage the use of bio-fuels.
>
> Yes, let's screw the market up even more than it already is by messing
> with something that doesn't need messing with.

The market doesn't work. There isn't anything better, but a totally
unregulated ('undistorted') market leads to things we've long since
decided were unacceptable ... slavery, unrestrained pollution, etc.
History is full of extremely nasty examples of what happens when you let
the market run free.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
        It's a bad idea to let third parties generate outbound mail