[geeks] electric cars

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Oct 23 14:30:39 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:19:34PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> trains are already extremely efficient, something like 100 ton-miles
> per gallon.  can't beat a steel wheel on a steel rail for low rolling
> friction...  we could reduce fuel usage by using more trains and fewer
> trucks - but the rail infrastructure has been wasting away while we
> build more roads with taxpayer money.

The problem is that for growth areas the lead time for NEW work is too long.
Here in Jerusalem work is in progress on a light rail system that connects
the population centers with the center of the city where most people work and
shop.

Or they did. When the project was conceived in the early 1990's, that was the
case. Since then there are two "high tech" office parks, a light industry
area, several neighborhoods of new housing with shopping and an intercity
rail line, none of which are anywhere near the light rail line.

To add to the problem there is a 90 degree turn in the light rail line that
is going to be on a huge suspension bridge from a single pylon. One truck
load of ANFO and oops. That's not likely here, but entirely possible.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838