[geeks] electric cars

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Oct 23 10:25:07 CDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> the big point for biodiesel is that it is naturally thinner and
> doesn't need heat, but there's still a problem: wax point.  soy
> biodiesel is only good to about freezing before starting to form wax
> crystals; canola biodiesel only a few degrees colder.  wax will plug
> your filters in no time...  a little bit below that and your fuel
> turns solid.  i've only seen one co claiming to have an antigelling
> additive.  barring that, we northerners can't use b100 [100%]
> biodiesel in the winter.  b20 - 20% bio/80% petro - doesn't have
> winter problems but of course is only a partial solution.

The two proposed solutions are to either have a heated fuel line, which
means you have to wait a few minutes before starting your car; or to
have two tanks, one of regular diesel and one B100 - you then have a
switch on the dashboard and need to manually switch between the two,
including switching to diesel a few minutes before you shut off the
engine.

--Patrick