[geeks] electric cars

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Oct 22 23:26:24 CDT 2006

> > A careful calculation of the requirements for 100% soybean oil
> > conversion from fossil fuel showed that a beanfield equivalent to a
> > square 500 square miles on each side in size could replace all our
> > fossil fuel needs.
>
> I am having trouble parsing that sentence, James.

Soy oil is an excellent direct substitute for diesel fuel.
If the USA were to decide to switch from fossil oil to soy oil we would
need a soybean field 500 square miles in size. Such acerage would
produce enough soy oil to meet our current fossil oil demands. This
includes the the demand if all gasoline engines were converted to
diesel, or if soy were converted to a lighter fuel to replace gasoline.

I think it's a good use for Texas myself :-)