[geeks] engage your cloaking devices!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 21 13:40:01 CDT 2006

Fri, 20 Oct 2006 @ 11:18 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> I frankly severely question whether there will *ever* be a practical use
> for a "cloaking" technology that can only hide an object from one
> frequency in the EM spectrum at a time, and which requires placing the
> object to be hidden inside the cloaking device, while the cloaking
> device itself *remains perfectly visible*.

Lot's of people have question things like this before they became
useful.

For example, there might be uses besides the idea of cloaking something
from being found.

> There are, I'm certain, useful applications of metamaterials.  This
> isn't one of them.  It's a laboratory parlor-trick, and nothing more.

So were transisters in 1949. A big unusable clump of metal, basically a
laboratory demo of a property of matter.

Now I have several hundred million of them busy at my feet.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]