[geeks] engage your cloaking devices!

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 20 10:18:33 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 19 Oct 2006 @ 21:19 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
>> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CLOAK_OF_INVISIBILITY?SITE=VANOV&SECTION=HOME
>>>
>>> Pretty nifty.
>> But, unfortunately, of no discernible practical use.
>
> Neither were the first transistors...:)

I frankly severely question whether there will *ever* be a practical use
for a "cloaking" technology that can only hide an object from one
frequency in the EM spectrum at a time, and which requires placing the
object to be hidden inside the cloaking device, while the cloaking
device itself *remains perfectly visible*.

"This is just a random cloaking device that just happens to be sitting
here by sheer random chance.  Nothing to see here.  Move along."

There are, I'm certain, useful applications of metamaterials.  This
isn't one of them.  It's a laboratory parlor-trick, and nothing more.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location