[geeks] Solar Panels on residence - anyone?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Oct 19 18:00:17 CDT 2006

 Geoffrey S. Mendelson said ...

> I was saying to a friend last week about using cooking gas to run a
> refrigerator, and it turned out he had one as a child.

That's the "Servel" system.  It's also been used for air conditioning.  It
was a lot more popular 40 years ago than it is now.  However, you can still
get 'em, and a a derivative of the same system is used in _kerosene_ powered
refrigerators.  That kind of stuff is popular with off-grid folks, the
Amish, etc.  See www.lehmans.com.

FWIW, the railroads used to have steam-powered air conditioning.

-Shel