[geeks] Choice of filesystem for /var

Miichael Vergalen mvergall at telenet.be
Thu Oct 19 13:19:01 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:12:36PM +0200, Miichael Vergalen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> for the /var filesystem wich I' going to move to a bigger set of disks
>> what do you recommend to use as filesystem ? I was thinking of placing
>> /var on either a zfs filesystem  or  a  raid1  filesystem.... but I
>> don't know what would be the best for this filesystem because it gets
>> written to a lot with all the logs etc.
>>

> Since you did not specify operating systems, I'll take a guess (probably
> wrong) and assume you mean Linux. I would use EXT3 as it is journaled,
> and has relatively low overhead.
>
> Whatever you use, make sure it is journaled so that you can see as much of
> the logs as possible after a crash.
>
> BTW, your question does not make a lot of sense, ZFS is a file system,
> raid1 is a storage method. You can't actually use raid1 without some sort
> of file system on top of it.

Well it does if you want to use zpool mirror  on  solaris instead of
raid1 but I've tried zfs today and it's still not what I need for the
E4000 .... I've tried it on  the D1000 array first becuase I had a
couple of disks to play with but as it does not yet export well to other
clients etc etc...I'll stick with raid1 for now.
> If your /var file system is very active or your disks are small, raid1 makes
> a lot of sense. If it is not very active (how much data do you log?), then
> just a regular journaled file system would do.

Daily I log about 800Meg  to a gig on the syslog alone... but eh it's a
server that is used for everything and anything ...development & testing
plus a couple of zones
that run the regular stuff mail, dns, user data stores etc....but most
of the logging comes from the testing of software that was modified or
written for internal use.

Michael

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mvergall.vcf]