[geeks] Choice of filesystem for /var

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 19 12:37:30 CDT 2006

Thu, 19 Oct 2006 @ 13:12 +0200, Miichael Vergalen said:

> Hi,
>
> for the /var filesystem wich I' going to move to a bigger set of disks
> what do you recommend to use as filesystem ? I was thinking of placing
> /var on either a zfs filesystem  or  a  raid1  filesystem.... but I
> don't know what would be the best for this filesystem because it gets
> written to a lot with all the logs etc.

Personally I would not use zfs, but rather a stripped down ufs with any
non-essential metadata turned off for speed.  Tune it for your most
common files, if you think you need it.

I don't think the overhead of zfs is worth it.

It does lead to a question for the ZFS experts though: can you turn
things like atime modification off in ZFS and if so, does it gain a lot
of speed like it does for other filesystems?

I did *NOT* tune my /var for my last Linux install, and while it isn't
fatal, I can tell the difference when it gets hit a lot. In fact, I'm
running a journaled ext3 fs on it and that gets painful for apps that
create hundreds or thousands of temp files.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty