[geeks] Solar Panels on residence - anyone?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Thu Oct 19 10:17:39 CDT 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com>
>> Date: 2006/10/19 Thu AM 06:41:03 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Solar Panels on  residence - anyone?
>>

>>> In short, they mount a huge array of photovoltaic cells on
>>> the roof, and install some elaborate electronics to manage
>>> the flow of electricity into the house (or back on to the
>>> power grid for a rebate?).
>>>
>>> http://www.njcep.com/ - NJ Clean Energy Program website
>>>
>>> http://www.advancedsolarproducts.com/ - a local vendor, they
>>> have pics of some local installs...
>>>
>> That would solve two problems for me. I need a new roof and I need
>> cheaper power.
>>

> Well, you'd need a roof *under* the photo cells (though I hear there is a company in Michigan that has developed roof tiles that take the place of shingles - Jeff Daniels (dumb and dumber co-star) does a radio ad for Michigan business that refers to the company, but I can't remmeber the name)...

[snip]

That would be United Solar Ovonic, aka Uni-Solar. They've been receiving
a lot of press here in Michigan, as they're building a new plant about
30 min. away in Greenville (former home of Frigidaire and Electrolux.) I
didn't know what their products were until just now - looks interesting.

- Mike