[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

John Francini francini at mac.com
Thu Oct 19 07:26:10 CDT 2006

>You can't always choose your vendors. If you want something that they have,
>you may be stuck with it. I don't think there are any U.S. printer vendors
>without chipped printers.

>>  In the inkjet market in particular, there really aren't many alternative
>>  choices.
>
>I don't know. I buy HP because they have good support and the supplies are
>readily available. If I were in the U.S., it might be a different story.

I'm in the US, and I use Canon printers.  Their refill cartridges for
many of their products are, quite literally, merely a transparent
plastic ink tank.  You can see whether it's full or empty by taking
it out and eyeballing it. No chipping.

>A friend of mine has an idea for  "killer app" for Open Office. It will never
>go anywhere because no one will fund it. It's too big a project for people
>to tackle at home.

Like the Linux kernel?  Like Apache?  Before they were 'adopted' by
for-profit concerns, they were originally developed (and still are)
by hundreds, if not thousands, of contributors world-wide working in
their bedrooms, basements, or dens, or living rooms.

John
John Francini, francini at mac.com

"The journey is more important than the destination-that's part of
life. If you only live for getting to the end, you're almost always
disappointed."     -Donald Knuth