[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 18 23:24:19 CDT 2006

Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 20:54 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:58:46PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 12:02 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:
> >
> >> " From: John Francini <francini at mac.com>
> >> "
> >> " As another poster wrote, no, the drives advertised are Atlas IVs,
> >> " which are Quantum designs derived directly from DEC designs.
> >> "
> >> " They work. Well.
> >>
> >> this bears out my observation that if you want quality drives, look to
> >> computer makers; as consumers of their own products they have much
> >> higher awareness of quality than vendors with no use for them.
> >>
> >> hitachi makes computers, and bought ibm's disk line
> >
> > True, but Hitachi also made some of the worst drives the industry ever
> > saw.
> >
> > There is a reason why the Hitachi Deskstar was nicknamed "Deathstar".
>
> They had one model that was bad, the 75 gig one, IIRC, thought I don't
> recall what the exact problem was, I never had that particular drive.

Actually, several Deskstars were pretty bad. I don't know if the 74GB
was the worst, but it didn't seem to catch the most heat.

There were at least three other models that were also bad, and it really
hurt Hitachi's reputation.

I had so many of them fail on me at work, that I'm still nervous about
buying one, even though I hear the causes of the problems are fixed now.

> I'm a bit of a Seagate biggot, but they've put out some bad drives too.
> I still buy them though, mostly for their 5 year warranty.

They have put out bad drives... but it seems they do so with less
frequency than the others, and they have made some of the best
ever.

I use them a lot.

I like Hitachi Ultrastar drives, but do they make them any more?

For the time being, I rely about 90% on Fujitsu Enterprise and Seagate
Barracuda drives for almost everything.

> --
> Michael Parson
> mparson at bl.org

shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]