[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Oct 18 21:05:17 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:38:31PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

<snip>

> On the other hand I once had to read from the Postscript developer's manual
> to a Vice President of Xerox to explain to him why his printer would not
> print Postscript files of scanned images properly. This was not a $3k
> printer, it was a $150k printer.
>
> He did something about it, and I was told that it would be fixed in the
> next release, about six months away. I was a consultant and left the
> client before then. Meanwhile we found it cheap and easier to print the
> files on HP printers, and let the Xerox printer work as a copy machine.

Xerox is on of the other companies whose support I was impressed by,
at least for the $150k printers.  I don't recall the exact model, but
it was one of their larger highish-capacity color printers that worked
wonderfully for all of our offices but one.  Everything was identical,
but when installed at that office, I could not print from the print
server to the printer using lpd.  I could print from elsewhere on our
WAN to that printer, and I could print from that server to the other
printer in the office.  Xerox wound up sending the guy that wrote the
driver for that printer to our office so he could inspect the setup.

He wound up taking our print server and the printer back to his lab to
work on it, since he couldn't make it work either.  It turned out to be
a buffer-overflow problem in the driver, the FQDN of the print server
was too long and was overwriting the first few characters of the PS,
causing raw PS to spit out instead of the rendered version.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org