[geeks] Oldest OS Still Developed

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 15:28:37 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:31:01PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Yes, and I have the manuals. 8-)
>
> Speaking of which:

[snip cool list of manuals]

One of my friends from college works as a shuttle crew trainer.  I
think he does the mission-specific training for the flights.  They
have several training teams, and they work on a rolling schedule.

I think that's got to be one of the coolest job descriptions ever,
short of astronaut.

He and one of his co-workers assembled a nice coffee-table book of
photos start-to-end for a mission, _Return-To-Flight Space Shuttle
Discovery_:
<http://tinyurl.com/ya9rls>

I didn't know what he did at NASA until I asked him about the missing
tape issue.  (I can pass along some of the web references he sent me,
if anyone is interested.)

Another one of our friends worked on researching the different kind of
computer interfaces that might work in zero G when he worked at NASA
(I don't know if he's still there or not).  And those old skool Grid
pads that could handle shock and had the orange displays were tested
as potential candidates.

=Nadine=