[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 18 14:03:21 CDT 2006

Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 18:53 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:47:21AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Also odd is how the manufacturers seem to go out of their way to
> > hide the chipsets used in the cards.
>
> No, the chipsets, if misused, will operate out of the legaly permitted
> specifications. They are just covering themselves.

That makes absolutely no sense.

For one thing, the mpii interface allows you to do some illegal things
without knowing anything about the chipset.

Otherwise, hiding the chipset doesn't stop you from finding out just
by snooping your hardware or the driver that is running.

It's trivial to find signal boosting drivers, so it certainly hasn't
stopped abuse.

Finally, if they were really worried about this, then why aren't the
hardware limits stored in a ROM which the chipset references, rendering
the card incapable of operating illegally in its given market?

That would probably be cheaper than the paint...

> A similar example was the HP inkjet printer drivers. The printheads
> were capable of much hire resolution, but HP was afraid that they
> would be damaged by poorly written drivers.

Yeah, right.

Oh, and don't forget, out of their deep concern for customer print
quality and print head damage, they also chip their cartridges.

Surely you don't believe such obvious lies as this?

If you want to see real damage, look at all the real problems that have
been caused by the lack of hardware information and chipped cartridges.

They are far in excess of the fabricated lies of HP and other print
manufacturers.

> Eventually they released a Linux/BSD addition to ghostscript that used
> the full resolution of the printer and after a while open sourced it.
> I believe this was due to the efforts of Bruce Perrin.
>
> Geoff.
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm at mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
> IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
> Visit my 'blog at http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]