[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:14:24 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 09:51 -0400, Nadine said:
>
> > I also have a Hawking pci 802.11g card in my Wintendo box, and it
> > works fine.  Of course, I used Hawking's utilities to manage it's
> > connection to our wireless network, since 'doze is utterly stupid
> > about SID's not being broadcast.  It "just works" under Windows with
> > the manufacturer's utilities.
>
> Quite a few cards I've tried seem to have a hard time holding a link for
> very long.  Also, when they do have trouble, they often appear to go
> dead and only a power cycle revives them.

I have not had this problem with the Hawking using their utility for
connection.  My signal strength is reported at around 80%, but it's
connected with the antenna down on the floor @ a reported signal
strength of 20%.  I will do some searching and see if I can track down
info as to it's support in other OSes.

> Also odd is how the manufacturers seem to go out of their way to
> hide the chipsets used in the cards.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  I suspect there are some tools out there
to grab that info, though, since so many of the wifi scanning tools
require you to know the chipset.

[re NTFS bootable flag]
> It's also pretty stupid. That is an abuse of the purpose of that flag.

No argument from me there.  Worse, most of the disk partition
utilities never reported this as a problem, though it wouldn't mount
in Linux or Windows.  I think gparted was the only one, but of course,
since it was complaining about it being bootable, I thought it was a
false positive until I did some googling.

=Nadine=