[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 18 11:33:34 CDT 2006

Tue, 17 Oct 2006 @ 21:15 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >Date: 2006/10/17 Tue PM 04:54:08 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?
>
> >Tue, 17 Oct 2006 @ 12:27 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:
> >
> >> Just a datapoint: 74 GB Maxtor (I know, I know) 10,000 RPM U320 SCSI
> >> drive, $59.97
> >
> >It's probably like Maxtor's SATA drives: an IDE drive with a cheap
> >converter board glommed onto it.
> >
> >Maxtor only fairly recently started making real SATA drives.
> >
> >I'd imagine their "SCSI" is a conversion too.
> >
> >Anyone have one who could check?
>

> How would you check? (I don't have one, but I am curious)

Hey, I just come up with the ideas... :)

Um... now that I think about it, I'm not sure.

On the fake SATA drives the converter interface was fairly easy to spot
as I recall.

But I suppose most drive boards will just look like a mass of
non-descript chips, so you'd have to look them up by part numbers.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.